Friday, March 14, 2008

Boat Cruise: Puerto Montt to Puerto Natales

Our preparations for this 3 day voyage through the fjords of Patagonia began with the purchase of several bottles of wine and several more litres of water. I found out later that drinking water was plentiful and free and that we were also traveling through channels as well as fjords, though I like the word fjord more.

All told we were on the water for 73 hours, 12 of those on the exposed portion of the South Pacific where swells can be quite rough, although apparently our trip was only 4 out of 12 for roughness (why the 12 point scale I don't know). The scenery during the time aboard was like a moving post card, with vegetation getting progressively shorter and sparser as we traveled south. We took a 4 hour detour to see the Pio XI glacier, the largest in South America, quite a site to see (photo above) and probably the highlight of the cruise for me.

The photo of the stranded ship was a sugar cargo ship which ran a ground navigating this channel in the 1960s it remains today as a lighthouse and a stark reminder of there the shallow water is.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is rather interesting for me to read that post. Thanks for it. I like such topics and anything that is connected to this matter. I would like to read a bit more soon.

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now. Keep it up!
And according to this article, I totally agree with your opinion, but only this time! :)