Thursday, April 10, 2008

Rio de Janeiro

When first reading about Rio I began to have some trepidations of going there, just because of the reputation for crime in the city and it being so much worse than other cities.  I'm happy to say that after being there my impressions of this wonderful city have changed and I had no more problems than the other big cities I've been to in South America (Santiago and Buenos Aires).  That is to say I've had no problems.
My time in Rio was pretty packed over the 6 days I was there and not a lot of time was spent sunning on the beach - mainly due to the fact that it rained every day I was there.  Highlights: Favela tour, Cristo Redentor, Football Match (Flamenco Vs. Vasco), Lapa (going out and the colourful steps), and the beach of course.
I think the top thing for me in the city was the touring one of the Favelas.  This favela (Rocinha) is the largest in the country housing 200,000 people in one square km.  Ther are over 750 of these favela communities in Rio alone and it houses some 20% of the city.  It was an amazing experience to tour through the streets and alleys really opening my eyes to the community within the slums.

No comments: