Monday, April 28, 2008

Puno & Cusco, Peru

Overland from Bolivia, around Lake Titicaca to Puno was my first stop in Peru. An interesting little town, know for its fiestas. I happened to be there for one of them, but not exactly sure what it was for - seemed to be a military thing of some sort. I didn't get a chance to get out on the Lake and see some of the islands and floating islands. A packaged tour bus took me from Puno to Cusco, which was a bit much at times shuffling along with the 100 other people at various historic sites along the way, but an experience none the less.

Cusco was a beautiful colonial city, but definitely well into the 'gringo' trail with backpackers and tourist agencies on every corner. Arranging my future travels to Pisac, Ollatytambo, and Machu Pichu was fairly easy, but after doing a tour I'd recommend to anyone with a little time and effort to DIY.

No comments: